[Reader-list] The Day We Defeated Brahminism: The Battle of Bhima Koregaon: 1st January, 1818

anoop kumar anoopkheri at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 18:03:18 IST 2009

The Day We Defeated Brahminism <http://blog.insightyv.com/?p=1086>*The
Battle of Bhima Koregaon: 1st January, 1818*

By *Pardeep Singh Attri*

*“If we wish to be free, we must fight. Shall we gather strength by
irresolution and inaction? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be
purchased at the price of chains and slavery? I know not what course others
may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.” – Patrick Henry
(March, 1775)*

[image: bhima-koregaon1]

Bhima Koregaon Pillar: Honouring the Bravery of Untouchable Soldiers

History of India is nothing but the struggle between untouchables and so
called upper castes. However the Indian historians have always misled us by
not showing the true face of Indian History.

The glorious victory of few hundred untouchable soldiers over numerically
superior Peshwa’s army in the battle of Koregaon, fought on 1st January,
1818, is one such chapter in Indian history whose significance has been
carefully hidden.

On that day, when many were busy celebrating the new year, a small force of
500 mahar (an untouchable caste in Maharashtra) soldiers in the British army
were preparing for a war against the most brutal Indian state of that times
– Brahmin Peshwa rulers of Pune, Maharashtra.

In the history books, this battle is considered an important one and is
known as second Anglo-Maratha war that resulted in the total destruction of
Peshwa kingdom and sealed the victory of British Empire in India. However,
there is a different historical dimension to this war that all of us need to
be aware of. Read more… » <http://blog.insightyv.com/?p=1086#more-1086>

--
"Rosa sat so Martin could walk; Martin walked so Obama could run, Obama ran
so your children can fly"