[Reader-list] Myths, Mangoes and ordered houses - re: 10 myths about pakistan

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 11:54:22 IST 2009

Dear all,

I think if we invest some time in thinking about the big picture and
consciously juxtaposing it with its pixels we can perhaps arrive at a better
understanding of the situation. What we are seeing in India and Pakistan as
suggested by the recent spate of events in both the countries and
interpretations of these events, is a ripening up of the tension of the idea
of State and Statehood. This, rather unclear notion of the State in the
subcontinent,  has produced certain dilemmas. These dilemmas are translated
and re-phrased by actors who are not necessarily formal in their
orientation. Hence on the index of social canvass we witness an ugly
churning of this dialectic. As meaning makers we may invest our energies to
arrive at this or that conclusion or we may take a position to suspend any
judgment. This is not to suggest that Aman's point of view is invalid or
that Rahul's position is right on target or Taraprakash is way off the mark
but to emphasize that, far from it, perhaps we need to peer more closely and
throughly to clearly grasp the tones of grays before we pull out the blacks
and whites apart.

Warm regards

Taha