[Reader-list] We were molested in the name of God

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:24:35 IST 2009

Dear all

Thanks to Rahul for posting the article.

Where are the great Hindutva supporters now that some of their great
followers have decided to play the moral brigade? Where are the great Hindu
dharm-rakshaks who are now going to protect the Hindu dharma?

The biggest nonsense ever I have heard in my life, was this statement made
by Savarkar : 'Hinduism is just a part of Hindutva'. This is an utter
nonsense. I am a Hindu, and can certainly say that Hindutva is nothing but a
political philosophy, whereas Hinduism encompasses political, social, moral
and mental character of life. And a bigotry like Hindutva can never be a
part of Hinduism, or vice versa (as Savarkar claims). Hindutva is
exclusivist, Hinduism is encompassing all. In Hinduism, one can be even
agnostic or atheistic as well. Hindutva was coined by Savarkar, an athiest
himself. And what he characterized Hindutva with is what is it stands now
for.

So, if to oppose Valentine's Day, it's necessary to beat boys and girls and
force them to marry, so be it. If to stop so called 'obscene' dances, it is
necessary to molest girls, and even strip them, so be it. So, if to organize
political mobilization and win elections, using Ram Mandir as an election
issue off and on as per requirement, even at the cost of demolition of
Babri Masjid and alienating Muslims, if it has to be done,  an important
component of India's population, so be it. So, if to rape Muslim women, cut
their foetus if they are pregnant, and even destroy their livelihoods and
hope of peaceful life is required in 'avenge' for Godhra, so be it.

Hinduism never supports rape. No text in Hindu religion ever supports rape.
No practice in any of the different strands of Hinduism ever asks for rape.
Neither does it support molestation and stripping of women to insult them or
to take 'revenge'. And most of all, Hindusim neither supports amoral or
immoral politics.

But Hindutva certainly does.

Hinduism never targets Islam and Christianity, Hindutva certainly
does.Hinduism accepts diversity in different strands of beliefs and gods
worshipped across different regions and castes, but Hindutva doesn't. There
are great fools in this country, led by the upper middle class Hindus and
upper castes as well, who are themselves fooled, and have set on a mission
to fool millions of Hindus (not within their reach as of present), in the
name of Hindutva, only for vote bank and caste hegemony establishment
purposes. It's time we rid ourselves of this foolish fiefdom set in our
minds, and open it to understand what true Hinduism is, and accept it's
diversity.

It's neither the BJP-VHP-RSS-Bajrang Dal parivar's responsibility nor their
right to stop anyone from celebrating Valentine's day or dancing in pubs.
Who are they to do that? Gods or what? Even Lord Ram would oppose that. And
certainly, if they don't have anybody to give roses to, it's not their right
to stop us from giving them.

And as for youngsters going astray, yes, youngsters expriencing sex at an
early age and having drugs as well, is and will certainly be a moral harm
for the society, because by and large, they may not understand the
consequences of what they are doing. But that does not mean beating them to
hell, either by these goons by their own parents. It comes from compassion,
understanding and love. It's unfortunate that all of us have been withheld
from religious education across schools, otherwise all of us would have
learnt the true teachings of different religions.

And the result we pay is some goons trying to preserve their religion and
culture through 'Hindutva' and 'Jihad'. Is the government listening?

Regards

Rakesh

PS : And ironically, in Bhopal (the city I live in), after bullying couples
throughout the day, the great Bajrang Dal activists can be found at night
dining with their girlfriends, celebrating the very same Valentine's day(
which they were fighting against in the morning). A bigger moral disaster I
believe than those consuming drugs and having unprotected sex.