[Reader-list] Ram Sewak Sharma appointed Director General of UIAD

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 18 18:25:49 IST 2009

Dear All

With the appointment of a Ram while a Nandu being on board already, it
seems that the whole identification process in our country is turning
into mythical proportions.

Like a Hanuman who was asked to identity a jari-booti and got an
entire mountain or a damayanti who had to identify a Nal from among
all the five grooms who looked alike, the UIDAI story is, it seems, is
not trying to appropriate the discourse of hyper modernity but making
an attempt to regain ideas which form the spine our collective
cultural soul. But just like hanuman could not weed out the correct
jari-booti could we be facing a similar situation in future when our
officers might hesitate to weed out the correct illegal immigrant from
the false one or the correct poor from a bogus one?

Please read the story for more

Warm regards

Taha

http://www.indopia.in/India-usa-uk-news/latest-news/625747/Business/4/30/4

New Delhi

Government today appointed IAS officer Ram Sewak Sharma as the
Director General of the Unique Identification Authority of India
headed by Nandan Nilekani.

Sharma, who is from the Jharkhand Cadre of the 1978 batch, would have
the rank of an Additional Secretary. The Appointment Committee of
Cabinet (ACC) has already approved Sharma's appointment.

The government has formed the Unique Identification Authority of India
to provide an unique identity number to every citizen of the country.
Nandan Nilekani, the former Co- Chairman of Infosys Technologies, has
already been appointed Chairman of the UIAD.

Further, the government has earmarked Rs 120 crore for the
project.UIDAI, an authority under the aegis of the Planning
Commission, is expected to roll out the first set of cards in the next
12-18 months.