[Reader-list] Fw: Whats Going on in Australia?

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 2 19:15:00 IST 2009

Dear Subhrodip

Picking up from some comments already made by you.

Emigration into Australia of Skilled and/or Professional manpower from India is a subsidy being given to Australia by India since the Education and Training costs of such people (which would have been largely subsidised by India) comes for free to Australia which would otherwise have spent (again largely subsidised by the State) on the creation of such a workforce to go into gainful employment.

But I find another aspect more interesting, that of (reportedly) 90,000 Indian Students studying in Australia. Interesting and also a sad comment on India:

- At a conservative estimate, each student puts in US$ 15,000 every year into the Aussie economy. This is at the college-entry level and increases subsequently. Predominantly Education Costs and partly as Living Expenses. 90,000 Indian students means that Indians are injecting in at least 1.35 Billion US Dollars into Australia every year from which the Australian Economy benefits in general but the Australian Educational Institutions are the main beneficiaries.

- The sad comment on India is that (notionally) this US $1.35 billion, every year, could have created the finest of well appointed Educational Institutions in India.

This is Australia alone. If you add to this the Indian students studying in USA, Canada (and fewer numbers in Europe) you come to mind boggling sums of money that instead of creating and/or strengthening the Education Systems in India are going to institutions in other countries.

Kshmendra