[Reader-list] Shahidul Alam detained by Indian Border Security Force

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 14:26:21 IST 2009

Dear Rahul,

I can understand that you question for Shuddha about his take on preventive
detention that I had not read. So I apologise. However, I think somewhere
during the discussion preventive detention has been confused with crossing
international borders.  However, Shuddha made some valid points. On the
other hand, the points raised by you Rahul are crisp and direct. It clearly
reflects your in-depth understanding of specific issues (if I am also
allowed to use commonalities) with respect to borders and immigration. I do
understand that the borders, which are intangible, become material basis for
our existence. Somehow, the idea of having borders is innate to human beings
– be it for better administration or self-preservation.

My issue lies with perceiving borders as means to express one’s might over
the fence. Sometimes this primordial instinct of limiting our existence can
be compared to the way dogs mark their territory. To digress, I have also
noticed that cows, and other herbivores do not have a problem in trespassing
to one’s territory or eating a branch from a tree, and one would not notice
the herbivore on the other side of the fence having a problem with the
animal which is trespassing. I also consider the case of bullfights but it
has nothing to do with territory but to have supremacy over the herd.

-Thanks

Anupam