[Reader-list] Fwd: A journey through biraha in the folk repertoire of Bengal by Moushumi Bhowmik and Sukanta Majumdar

Iram Ghufran iram at sarai.net
Thu Mar 26 13:37:02 IST 2009

Subject: A journey through biraha in the folk repertoire of Bengal by
Moushumi Bhowmik and Sukanta Majumdar
From: "India Foundation for the Arts" <contactus at indiaifa.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:34:49 +0530 (IST)
To: reader-list at sarai.net

India Foundation for the Arts

 in collaboration with

 The India International Centre

 cordially invites you to a presentation and performance of,

Music as Absence, Memory and Desire: A journey through biraha in the
folk repertoire of Bengal

by singer-songwriter-researcher Moushumi Bhowmik and sound recordist
Sukanta Majumdar
{This performance is the result of grants made to Moushumi by India
Foundation for the Arts under its Arts Research and Documentation
Programme. The grant made in 2003-2004 was to research into and document
the repertoire of biraha (songs of separation) in the folk music of
Bengal, towards a musical travelogue in Bengali and English. The grant
made in 2006-2007 was for innovative dissemination of the archive of
biraha songs through musical camps in the field and
presentations/performances in cities.}

In this presentation-performance, Moushumi will talk and sing about the
many landscapes and histories of Bengal through which they have
travelled and the many expressions of absence and longing that they have
heard along the way. The presentation will bring together ther arts of
narration, singing, sound recording and design, using also visual
illustration from various sources.

Ms Moushumi Bhowmik and Mr Sukanta Majundar will take questions from the
audience at the end of the presentation

 Venue:   The India International Centre, Delhi