[Reader-list] Happy Sunday :) Library and Garbage bins

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Sun May 10 06:07:54 IST 2009

Dear All,

It's Sunday morning in Delhi. It's nice and warm. The birds are
eagerly practicing flight as the afternoon sun will start draining
them. The ants crawl the trees in quick hope of feed. Heat will slowly
make them much less mobile as the day progresses. Delhi summer heat
beats down everyone. Very little insight comes of it :)

Is it possible to calm the heat down in this list? Well here is a
suggestion.

Can we together explore two questions that can maybe give us all some
vantage point to better understand the milieu we live in.

1) Why is there almost no public library in the cities in India?
Simple places that one goes to read and meet people from other walks
of life.

Was recently in Montreal and was taken to the newly built public
library there. It has been jointly built by the municipality, the
province and the federal funding. It is managed by an group of
librarian and has already developed an amazing collection of books.
It's children section was an amazing zone. The library had a sitting
arrangement for many hundred and has wireless connectivity.

2) Why are the public garbage bin's design so unimaginative in the
cities in India?  We keep hearing so much about enormous garbage being
produced by our increasingly visible and affluent middle class and so
little innovation in garbage bins. Huge fences guard the various
localities but the garbage bins remain undesigned and overflowing.
This is a strange anomaly.

Thought this maybe a good starting point for sunday thinking :)

warmly
Jeebesh