[Reader-list] Arundhati Roy in Karachi

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Fri May 15 08:59:18 IST 2009

Dear All,

"You must be either very dumb or very rich if you fail
to notice that development stinks", says Gustavo Esteva, a Mexican
activist and development critic. And in a article, couple of years
back, Arundhati Roy wrote, “ The world is journeying on a terrible
path “.

I want to know who disagrees with the above two statements. And those
who see the fanatic Muslim terrorist as the most poisonous growth in
the happiness producing paddy fields of the world , which we urgently
need  weeding,  then I disagree.

The charge against Arundhati Roy is that why she chose not to speak
the language of US in Pakistan.  The boy ( Taliban boy ) should be
killed instantly the moment he said that ‘woman’ and ‘plastic bags’
should be banned. That is perhaps, the argument.

Now who has put this tag ‘Taliban’ on the forehead of millions of
Muslims in the world, who else, but the USA. Are not talking about the
masters who play this game? If not why?

 Is ISI and the Pakistani Establishment the only masters of this boy?
What if USA/West is the hidden master of this game, and if that is a
possibility, then how the police, who is thief himself will catches
the thief?  Seeing it from a perspective of treatments on canvas, this
handling of Af-Pak issue by USA is as unaesthetic as Iraq war was.
This is bound to generate ugliness, but unfortunately, they are
probably content with their actions, as usual.

  Looking seriously at the problem ,  I think 9/11 was a long term
investment for USA/West to harvest dividends. The threat, which is
more projected than real,  to their securities has already hardened
the boarders, and the  excuse to inspect/control the weapons in our
backyards has become real. They almost say, that we should know what
is  happening in your homes. The trouble is that our knowledge of
their homes does not reveal that hidden agenda.

Meanwhile, they will make us forget that it was their willingness in
the first place to manufacture these weapons of mass destruction, so,
we all will believe that ‘they there’ are right  and ‘we here’ are
wrong. They design the guns and bombs, they finance it, they
distribute it, and they decide how to fix the responsibility.

We already know that taking a stand against the boy with disdain for ‘
they there’ is a demand of times, some sort of pragmatism, so we need
to say yes, yes, let us kill the boy and thousand and thousand of
other like him. We want development, even if it ‘stinks’.

This sound called USA/West has already killed half a million in Iraq
and we still believe that the enemy of humanity is this terrorist,
this terrorist only.  We must be naïve to give all the benefit of
doubts to them. ( here, them and us is not a black and white contrast,
but we need to know how much of fiction is weaved in the us-like as
them-like, or even, vice versa. )

Sad, if we think that to kill this boy is the remedy to our ills, then
how to let us go ahead with killing the entire Taliabanized  society
in Pakistan and Afghanistan, which runs in millions.  Mr. Jamal, a
Pakistani Journalist said that there are half a million hard core
units ( Jihadis/individuals ) from Madarasas ( schools ) in Pakistan.
First, how to mark one by one, and how to change the programmed grey
matter inside the head. As Ashish Nandy rightly pointed out that
Modern societies have no previous  experience to deal with a person
who is willing to die, for a cause, which is not necessarily valid for
rest of us.

The trouble begins when for example, a Megaphone Company is delighted
to sell its product to thousands of mosques in thousands of villages
in the these two countries. They are happy to push the sales, but have
the so called peace generating  companies ever campaigned against the
sale of their product to these companies. They should have reminded
them that the muezzin does not need scientific means to push religion
in the minds of people, but goodwill, trust, compassion and simplicity
etc. But they do the reverse, they tell them lies, and try all the
tricks to sell their product, and so  why it is surprises us if we get
a Tabliban from such promotions. This is just a case in the point.

The trouble begins here, for example, terrorist uprising in Kashmir
created all the violence against the innocent people in the valley.
Both Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims suffered terribly, and now, yes, when
there is a visible mistrust against them (  terrorists) in the valley,
and we feel people are returning back to normal life, how are we going
to define ‘peace’ and ‘development’ in real sense of the word. What is
normal life? And if it means a return to the decadence and a dumb
chase of American style of living, at a terrible cost of our
environment and cultural moorings, then what should I say.

This I am saying, even if people will forget  the core Kashmir issue
which is presently unresolved.

Just by killing the  remaining 3000 odd terrorist in the valley, I
don’t know what we, the so called peace loving people, are going to
achieve.

 I never said, that the presence of terrorists in the valley is/was a
future catalyst to resolve the issues which I have raised, but their
absence too wont change the rules of the game which are nothing ,but
what Gustavo’s ‘stink’ generating projects talk about.

Will  there be a solid peace in the region. I doubt. The propaganda
right now is that the  terrorist caused the delay in development.
Logically, yes, but what development.

May be we need to define this animal called development first before
we go to define the terrorist.

The trouble begins, here again , as Mr. Jamals interviewer pointed
out, that the Terrorist can not lead a normal life even after the
issue is resolved. So how to treat the situation?

So what is the way out ?

Love and regards
Inder salim

--