[Reader-list] Indian elections: how to woo Muslims to vote for you

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 13:06:15 IST 2009

Dear Taha, Kshmendra and others
Thanks for your comments and questions. This image gallery is really a work-in-progress, and its a tip of the iceberg from what one notices in Urdu press. I have been surveying Urdu newspaper off-and-on and I was surprised to see the quantity and diversity of the election posters. Here are some random comments on your questions:

First of all, this survey is limited to only a handful of Urdu newspapers published from Delhi and UP which cater to some districts of western UP (the region that had the fiercest competition between Mulayam, Mayawati, Congress, BJP). The reach and impact of those papers is yet to be studied, since many of them are temporary publications. I also haven't looked in detail at the Hindi newspapers or the local TV shows (or local graffiti, wall posters) to make a comparison. But the use of Urdu newspapers in this manner does reveal a lot about how they become a via media to cater to a community. Maybe all Muslims in Delhi/UP don't read Urdu, but the news certainly trickles down through these papers. The tone of the ads by all 4 parties sounds like a fish market where each candidate is showing how he/she is better for the Muslims and how the other party has always ditched the community.

Yes the use of religious leaders/clergy (for canvassing) is still an effective tool - mainly because the imams and pir sahebs (from Sufi shrines) do hold an authority over large sections of local population, probably due to a lack of effective political leader in the community. But it is no longer a situation where only one big leader (like the imam Bukhari could hold his sway nationwide). And this may not be a new phenomena - there is a long history of the political impact of religious clergy on the community. But what is worth studying (and also disturbing) is how these ads for Muslims seldom talk about nation-building or nationhood (which you see in the mainstream BJP ads), but only restrict Muslims to their immediate concerns of Babri and Gujarat etc.

Babri mosque and Gujarat pogrom are used ferociously by all parties (except BJP) to woo Muslims in these ads, but I am not sure if the readers/voters are so stupid that they can't see the ludicrousness of how two or more ads on the same newspaper page are using the same agenda to hit at the other party/candidate. Its funny how the newspaper could even sell the adjacent ad space to 3 different parties who are attacking each other.

I haven't come across any example so far of "appeasing" of other communities this way by all parties - although the BJP did use it in a reverse way to attack the Congress in the earlier Delhi elections, by listing out its various evils including the "mushrooming of Batla Houses" in Delhi, if you remember that ad.

More later probably.

Yousuf