[Reader-list] Drishti Media : An Introduction

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Mon Oct 5 10:32:01 IST 2009

ABOUT DRISHTI

Our journey started in 1992 when two young professionals Shabnam
Virmani and    Stalin K. armed with degrees in films and development
communication came together. Their effort was to challenge the
mainstream media that portrayed the marginalised and the poor as
victims and objects of pity. Such a portrayal was a gross
misrepresentation and often offensive. It failed to capture the
success, strength and struggles of the marginalised.

To address this situation, they along with Mr. Gagan Sethi of JanVikas,
Ahmedabad collectively started taking small steps to form an
organisation named Drishti. In 1993 Drishti was registered under
Society’s Registration Act. Drishti believed that the inherent problems
of representation within media could be challenged by a new generation
of media professionals. Drishti’s objective was to create alternative
media space and it’s first intervention in 1992 was a film for a
non-profit organisation, SEVA Rural called “Kali Kem Mari”.

This was followed by another film in 1992 “Ek Potlu Beek Nu” (A Bundle
Full of Fear), which was a dramatized narrative of five village women
and their struggle for gender justice. The women field workers of
Mahila Samakhya who had experienced violence and raised their voice
against it, wrote the script and acted in this film. This process laid
the cornerstone for Drishti’s future work.
In 1999, this belief i
n DRISHTI was consolidated and strengthened
through our work in Community Radio. We believe that the medium of
radio, if democratized and entrusted in the hands of local communities,
can become a true vehicle of cultural expression and affirmation. The
capacities of the communities is built to own, control and create their
own media based on a sound developmental perspective. DRISHTI has set
up two community radio units, one in Kutch with Kutch Mahila Vikas
Sangathan (KMVS) and one in the Dangs district of Gujarat in
collaboration with Centre for Social Justice (CSJ).
DRISHTI has been at the forefront of a movement to democratize India's
airwaves and fight for the community's right to run and manage their
own Community Radio Stations along with other organizations and
individuals. This struggle culminated in a major victory, as the new
Community Radio Policy was announced by the Government of India, in
December 2006. Communities can now apply for setting up and manage
their own radio stations through NGOs.
In an effort to broaden the base of our media work, Drishti has also
designed campaigns and events. Our first encounter with campaigns was
to design and implement a fair on environment at Kutch in 1995 and was
followed by several such campaigns. One of the milestones was the 2001
World Conference in Durban that highlighted caste discrimination
through art and music.

Our work in film making, radio production with communitie
s, creating
campaigns and holding trainings have come together to strengthen and
create the present avatar of Drishti. Presently three clear streams
have emerged in our work, Community Radio, Community Video and
Nazariya.

In a natural progression from our Community Radio experience DRISHTI
extended it’s work into the realm of Community Video. The Camera can
prove to be one of the most effective and revolutionary tools through
which marginalized communities are empowered to change their lives. The
Community Video Programme, partners with organisations in the
grassroots to set up Community Video Units. Here community members are
trained to create and control a media of their own. This media empowers
community voices and can prove to be a vital trigger of social change.
In July 2006 Drishti partnered with Video Volunteers an organisation
based in the United States to set up 6 Community Video Units with NGO’s
doing intensive work in the grassroots. The Community Video Programme
has trained more than 70 community members to creat videos and lead
change locally.
The Community Radio Programme through its long history of gestation in
Drishti is one of our strongest programmes today. Over the next three
years, DRISHTI plans to support the setting up of three Community Radio
Stations (CRS) in collaboration with NGO partners. Drishti will also
launch a Community Radio Station for the youth of Ahmedabad.
Our third stream is Nazar
iya. Here, Drishti aims to bring in an
alternative perception into our society by screening documentaries,
short films and short fictions that reflect a broader reality of
people. Nazariya was started in September 2005 and since its inception
has set up 26 film clubs in educational institutes of Ahmedabad, two
film clubs in public spaces and organized seven film festivals in
Ahmedabad, Baroda and Rajkot. Nazariya reaches out to unreached
audiences with a meaningful, innovative and explorative perception of
filmmaking and viewing. It seeks to sensitize young people towards
social issues and encourages them to take actions as socially
responsible citizens.
These three streams of Drishti together culminate to form a pool of
media experiences through which we aim to…

… build empowered communities and promote Human Rights values to
realize a just and equitable society, using the media and arts.

COMMUNITY VIDEO

The Community Video Unit (CVU) is a unique space for local communities
to voice their stories of joy, strife or tribulations. Here communities
create, control and disseminate their stories through the medium of
videos. It comprises of 6 – 8 community members who are trained as full
time Community Video Producers. They produce a ‘Video Film’ on
different social issues in every 2months. These films are screened in
around 25 bastis or villages on widescreen projectors to up to 10,000
people
. Every film sparks debates, discussions and ultimately actions
towards a positive change. Drishti collaborates with different
non-profit organizations in India to set up a Community Video Unit,
within communities they work.

HOW TO START?

It generally takes a period of six to eight months to set up a
Community Video Unit (CVU). The process is as follows:

•You write to us expressing your interest or send us a proposal.
•We review the proposal and get back to you with information on a
tentative budget and how the CVU works.
•You organize to allocate your funds and resources and agree to launch
the CVU.
•You send us a tentative list of 40 villages or slum areas where the
CVU is expected to run.
•We come for a site assessment and mutually identify/shortlist 25
villages or slum areas where the CVU will work, taking into account
some predefined criteria.
•We eventually finalize plans and sign a Memorandum of Understanding,
committing both parties to the process.
•We mutually hire 6-8 community members as your Community Video
Producers based on some predetermined criteria.
•You purchase and/or allocate all the equipment necessary from our
equipment list.
•We recruit a full time Video Trainer for your CVU, and conduct an
intensive one to two months-‘Training of Trainers’ to ensure that the
person is trained in all aspects of Community Media.
 He will work
on-site for 18 months.
Finally the training of the Community Producers starts, and the CVU
begins work!

For further info Log on to www.drishtimedia.org

or

Contact :