[Reader-list] By a Danish, before ‘Danish Cartoons’

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 17:27:08 IST 2009

I have often wondered why Lalleshwari (naked if she danced) didn't die of Pneumonia in a  Freezing Kashmir and instead only died when she was 70.

The image of "A Naked Dancing Lal" is quite romantically attractive. So to speak a "Dancing Dervish" and Naked too. Wowwww!!!!!

"Nachun" has another meaning in Kashmiri apart from "dance". It also means to "wander around".

Did she move around naked?

Had Lal (pronounced Lull) transcended any recognition of the "shame" with which society recognised nakedness? Was she that disconnected from the world around her?

Her "gorr" (Guru) gave her the advice to enter the 'inside' from her 'outside'. The external accqusitions and accomplishments were not for her. That certainly rendered her "naked" in dealing with wordly matters.

Did she remain unclothed? I wonder.

Lal was not a raving mad lunatic. Even if she had no interest in wearing clothes, it is unlikely that the people around her would let her wander around naked.

Kshmendra