[Reader-list] "Terrorism dilemmas come down to Kashmir"

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 28 05:51:04 IST 2009

This article seems something straight out of the propaganda department of the Pakistan Army. Only Arundhati Roy fanboys can take this seriously,but then there are no dearth of those types on this list.

"> But the bulk of the Pakistani military remains tied down in
> the
> Punjab, protecting the heartland from an Indian invasion;
> according to
> Farukkh Saleem, executive director of Pakistan’s Centre
> for Research
> and Security Studies, 80 percent to 90 percent of
> Pakistan’s military
> assets are in use countering the Indian threat."

Sure,the poor Pakistan military is so scared of India and Indian military that it has to foster so called non state actors and send terrorists in India to kill Indian civilians.That will show them!

"> Leaving aside the strategy of COIN for the moment, Lalwani
> — comparing
> the terrain, population size, language difference and a
> range of other
> factors — contends that an effective campaign will
> require 370,000 to
> 430,000 more troops than presently involved. It’s a
> redeployment
> that’s unconscionable to the Pakistani military; such a
> move would
> leave Pakistan vulnerable to its vicious rival.
"

Neither Brian Till nor Sameer Lalwani seem to have read reports coming from Pakistan by Pakistani journalists in Pakistani newspapers how the Pakistani Army has allowed the Talibans to fester under its very nose. They have refrained to take even the slightest of action against them and the poor locals have been left to fend for themselves.There have been cases where Army has been stationed quite close to Taliban strong holds but have turned a blind eye.

Particularly, the Pakistani military — with whom
> power
> ultimately resides and which has the capacity to undermine
> any
> progress — is well steeped in distrust of the U.S.

Lol! This has to be the most hilarious line in the article. The Pakistani army is so steeped in distrust of the US that it allows them to carry out drone attacks on their own soil in exchange of billions of dollars of aid. I wonder what would have happened if they had trusted the US.