[Reader-list] The Naxalites overreached

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 19:04:29 IST 2010

Memories of inferno still remain fresh
NEWSLINK Monday, March 05, 2007
Bureau report

Aizawl, March 5th, 1966: Today marks the 41st anniversary of the
historic Aizawl bombardment, which had turned the once-beautiful hill
town Aizawl into ashes, a few days after the declaration of the
"Mizoram independence" by the Laldenga-led Mizo National Front.

While Mizoram now has emerged as one of the most peaceful states and
marching ahead as one of the most developing states of India, memories
of the inferno still remain with those who survived the trial by fire.

"In the afternoon of March 4 1966, a flock of jet fighters hovered
over Aizawl and dropped bombs leaving a number of houses in flames.
The next day, a more excessive bombing took place for several hours
which left most houses in Dawrpui and Chhingaveng area in ashes,"
recollected 62-year-old Rothangpuia in Aizawl.

According to some records, Hunter and Toofani fighters were deployed
for the Aizawl bombardment, which became the first and only aerial
attack India has carried out against its own people. The fighters came
from Tezpur, an IAF air base in Assam. Apart from Aizawl, Tualbung and
Hnahlan villages in northeast Mizoram were bombarded. Surprisingly,
there were no human casualties officially reported in any of the air
raids.

"In the first wave of attack the planes used machine guns and later on
used bombs. The attack came in three waves, on the second day the
attack lasted for about five hours," MLA Andrew Lalherliana recounted.

According to Joe Lalhmingliana, a retired wing commander of Indian Air
Force, Tezpur Air Force base - which presently hangars MIG 21
Operational Flying Training Unit (MOFTU) - was the base for the
Mizoram aerial attack of March 1966.

"The Indian Air Force deployed Hunter and Toofani jet fighters to
carry out the mission; it was the first time India used its air force
to quell a movement of any kind among its citizens. Goa was a
different story, it was a move to drive away the Portuguese," the
former airman said.

Till today there has been no satisfactory answer as to why India used
such excessive air force against its own citizens in order to suppress
an insurgency. Surprisingly, the Mizo National Front was outlawed only
later in 1968.

In the aftermath of the Aizawl air raids, two MLAs of Assam, Stanley
DD Nichols Roy and Hoover H Hynniewta, came to Mizoram (then Mizo
district under Assam) to see with their own eyes what happened to the
people of the Mizo District and were totally shocked by what they saw.
Later in April, Nichols Roy moved a motion in the Assam House on the
Aizawl air attack.

"The use of excessive air force for taking Aijal (the former name of
Aizawl) was excessive because you can not pinpoint from the air who is
loyal and who is not loyal, who is an MNF and who is somebody pledging
allegiance to the Mizo Union, the ruling party in the Mizo district,"
Roy was quoted as speaking to the Assam chief minister by Mizo
historian JV Hluna in his book 'Debates on Mizo Problems on
Insurgencies, with special reference to the contributions of Stanley
DD Nichols Roy, MLA and Hoover H Hynniewta, MLA.'

JV Hluna noted that a hot debate over the Mizo issue continued in the
House. Nichol Roy even referred to a statement made by Prime Minister
Indira Gandhi published in the Hindusthan Standard on March 9, 1966
where the PM, answering a foreign correspondent, insisted that the air
force was "deployed to drop men and supplies."

"Nichols Roy stated that whether the shells of bombs, which had been
dropped in Aijal, be sent to Delhi to ask the Prime Minister, 'How do
you cook this ration? If these are supplies, please tell us how you
cook these things'?", JV Hluna said in his book.

Strongly condemning the use of air force, the other MLA Hynniewta
produced photographs of one unexploded bomb and some fragments of
exploded bombs as proof of the Aizawl air attack, which was strongly
denied by the Government of India.

"We touched it, we measured it and we took photograph of it. We have
fragments of the bombs. We have the testimony of hundreds of people
who have heard the explosions the moment the planes flew over in Mizo
Hills," Hynniewta addressed the chief minister. "If you want to
suppress the MNF rebellion, ordinary bullets are sufficient. From any
point of view, military, physical or economic, these weapons should
never have been used," the MLA told the House.

"Given that the only sources of information regarding the insurgency
in Mizoram for the outside world were the words of the Assam chief
minister, the Assam chief secretary and the Prime Minister (who on the
other hand denied the air attack), the contributions of the two MLAs
were very notable," JV Hluna said.

Since the MNF rebels had already taken Army installations in Champhai,
Lunglei and Saitual in the initial stage of the rebellion and Aizawl
in danger of being overpowered, the Indian Government might have been
too nervous to have second thoughts about an aerial attack on its own
territory.