[Reader-list] NAREGA

Bipin Trivedi aliens at dataone.in
Thu Apr 15 15:16:41 IST 2010

I request all the members to read my views on NAREGA or MGREGA. I have tried
to make very brief so you cannot have to spare your much time. I also
request to express your views.

Dear Rakesh,

Thanks at least you agreed that MGREGA is not a gift of Sonia or UPA, since
in earlier discussion you gave credit to Sonia. But, UPA/she implemented it
that is what their main election campaign and poor people comes in it.
Politician particularly congress never thought on long term benefit since
independent, though their few intellectual knows/warned about it negativity,
but they have ignore and implemented it.

Now, you rightly gave credit to others who fought for it since many years
and same persons approached to NDA also to implement it, but NDA looking to
long vision and benefit choose to initiate and invest in infrastructure.
They were knowing that infrastructure development is long process and will
get its fruit after long period and there is no short term benefit and
probably might affect in the next election though they gone for root based
development. THIS IS REAL VISIONARY STEP, NDA ADOPTED WITHOUT LOOKING INTO
VOTE BANK POLITICS.

By adopting countrywide infrastructure development, employment will be there
to local people only in the form of labor for more than 100 days (which is
limit for MGREGA), since they are un-educated. Since the infrastructure
development will be with the partnership of private companies or contractual
basis, the corruption level will be very low compared to huge wastage in
MGREGA about 60/70%.

We can have corruption discussion sometime later.

Disadvantages of this scheme:

(1)  In this scheme, you will noticed after few years that govt. officials
and politician becomes more richer and poor remain poor only. In few years
or decade, if poor will not improve their standard of living, who will be
responsible and I am sure this will going to happen.

(2)  ANOTHER MAIN DISADVANTAGE is non-availability of labor in AGRICULTURE
since they will divert to this MGREGA scheme. One of the reason for reduce
in crop production is this also and it will reduce further this year also
leads to increment in the food prices and inflation. Think over it
positively.

(3)  By such scheme you are making people lazy. They get assurance to get
work from govt. and did not try their own will to do something, which
affects people self improvement, efficiency which is most necessary to grow
and develop healthily.

Any nation cannot grow healthily, unless it utilize their resources
including skilled/unskilled man power in very efficient and disciplined
manner. Please note that all the schemes/subsidies adopted by the govt. will
do not have any impact unless and until people improve themselves. Since
independence, many schemes/subsidies were adopted, which did not uplift poor
much.

You are talking about agriculture reforms not adopted by Gujarat. Please
note that Gujarat agriculture growth is 14% and farmers here are much
happier than anywhere else. To make something like agriculture reforms by
way of laws is not only criteria for agriculture progress. As you mentioned
WB, Tripura, Kerala adopted such reforms what is the progress there in
agriculture. WB and Tripura are in worst situation. I don't say Narendra
Modi achieved everything or what he is doing everything is right. Lots of
thing yet to be do in many criteria.

Thanks

Bipin