[Reader-list] "Degree of confusion"

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 19:40:33 IST 2010

An excellent speech delivered by Mir Ibrahim Rehman as a "Dedication" on his completion of Masters in Public Administration from Harvard University’s John F Kennedy School of Government.

Mir Ibrahim was awarded the Robert F Kennedy Public Service Award by Harvard. Also recepient of Lucius N Littauer award for outstanding contribution to the Kennedy School Community.

"Twenty-nine-year old Mir Ibrahim Rahman is the grandson of the late Mir Khalil-ur-Rahman, the founder of the Jang and Geo Groups, the nephew of Group Chairman, Jang Group Mir Javed Rahman, and the son of Group Chief Executive and Editor-in-Chief, Jang and Geo Group Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman."

"Chief Executive Officer, Geo Television Network, Mir Ibrahim Rahman had taken a year’s sabbatical to do his Master’s in Public Administration, where he researched and written a thesis on Pakistan’s potential, titled: “Reason to believe: Finding a new public narrative for Pakistan.” "

Kshmendra

"Degree of confusion"

Sunday, July 18, 2010

(Professor, I am confused; Mir ... that may be progress for you)

Following is the text of speech delivered by Mir Ibrahim Rahman at Harvard University at the conclusion of his studies

Dedication: This speech is dedicated to our parents, whose children like me, at times have taken them for granted, even though we know that we would not exist if it were not for them, and their love.

When I first got here, I was continuously asked by my family and friends, “So what’s it like being at Harvard?”

I told them, it’s as if a thirsty man is wandering in the middle of the desert, and all of a sudden, he gets to drink from a fire hose!

I am not sure how much I am getting in, but boy I am excited!

One of the first exercises we were asked to do, was to write a letter to ourselves. What did we want to learn from our time here, what were our expectations and how did we want to change the world and why?

Heavy stuff!

Recently I was forced to read the letter again and reflect.

Let me share some of my disappointments.

Like many of you, I came here to find answers for the people we left back home. Instead, I was asked to lead them through questions, not answers.

Like you, I came here to find how I can better serve my people, but learnt instead that my primary service was to frustrate them enough so they would lead themselves - without me.

And like many of you, I came here to refuel my passion projects but instead I was forced to review past successes and study the real aftermath, and sometimes bloodbaths, that were a result of bulldozing our idealism on to others.

We came here to be more persuasive, but learnt how dangerous persuasion can be, no matter how well intentioned. We wanted to sharpen our skills of influence, but instead were taught how to be more conscious of our very selves ... and the loyalties, biases and baggage that are driving us.

I wanted to sell my nation the concept of democracy, wanted to change the company I run, by learning about corporate governance best practices.

Later I find out that there is no real empirical evidence that links ‘best practices’ of corporate governance to actual share or profit performance! The uncertainty continued.

On top of that, I then find out that there is no real correlation between democracy and better economic or even social outcomes! I was devastated.

Half way through, some of us thought about quitting - or worse - going to Yale! This is not what we came here for. We didn’t sign up to accumulate more doubts, debts and insecurity about the way the world works! ... Or did we?

I was in this one class, probably the most popular and insightful class at HKS, by this infamous professor who is renowned for both his obnoxiousness and philosophy - most of which I just had not been buying. Towards the end of the last class he had just finished giving us this great lecture, probably one of the best he has ever given, summarizing some key learnings and really trying to hit it home. At the end, I raised my hand up and said, “Professor I am confused”.

The professor became still, the class became silent. Slowly he moved towards me, leaned over said ... “Mir ... that may be progress for you”.

And it hit me. The power of confusion can and should be celebrated. The celebration of doubt can help us see thing better, with fresh eyes, open curiosity and a beginners mind and heart.

Imagine if al-Qaeda became confused about the United States, recognized the good it has done throughout the world with its value for entrepreneurship, education and freedom of speech. Imagine if we become confused about the intentions of extremists and wonder if they want something else other than to take away our way of life and freedom. Imagine if the Arabs and Jews became more confused about who is the chosen one and what is the chosen path.

Imagine if more countries, including China and my Pakistan, became confused between outputs and process ... where democracy starts becoming more valuable because human beings are social and moral creatures that care not only about what they get ... but how they get it.

Imagine if the republicans agreed to be confused about democrats! Or better, imagine if the Kennedy School became more confused about the Republicans! Imagine if the same degree of confusion and deliberation witnessed in Congress on healthcare reform, was also shown by this, and every nation, when it thinks about sending its children to war.

The premise of confusion has more potential in bringing peace and prosperity than most think. The audacity, sometimes, is in being too sure.

Together, we have learnt about the two kinds of confusion, one that leads to doubt and inaction, and the other more positive kind, that leads to pause ... reflection and better action. It is this second kind that helps us be smarter troublemakers. Smarter, troublemakers ... at the end what more could Harvard Kennedy School ask from us, and what more could we ask from ourselves.

So as we go out back into the real world, let’s promise to look at it with more naivete and be more comfortable with our ‘discomfort’. As we graduate with our ‘degree of confusion’ (all $80,000 worth of confusion), let us be proud that we have been confused by none other than Harvard. It has been a pleasure ... (I think?)

http://thenews.jang.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=30141