[Reader-list] Saudi women use fatwa in driving bid

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 15:48:05 IST 2010

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudi-women-use-fatwa-in-driving-bid-1.643431
Riyadh: Saudi women plan to turn a controversial fatwa (religious
ruling) to their advantage and launch a campaign to achieve their
long-standing demand to drive in this conservative kingdom.
If the demand is not met, the women threatened to follow through the
fatwa which allows them to breastfeed their drivers and turn them into
their sons.
The campaign will be launched under the slogan: "We either be allowed
to drive or breastfeed foreigners," a journalist told Gulf News.
Amal Zahid said that their decision follows a fatwa issued by a
renowned scholar which said that Saudi women can breastfeed their
foreign drivers for them to become their sons.
"As every Saudi family needs a driver, our campaign will focus on
women's right to drive," she said.
The controversial fatwa, which was regarded as both funny and weird,
issued recently by Shaikh Abdul Mohsin Bin Nasser Al Obaikan, member
of Saudi Council of Senior Scholars and adviser to the king, has
sparked a debate in society.
The renowned scholar said Saudi women can breastfeed their foreign
drivers for them to be become their sons and brothers to their
daughters.
Under this relationship, foreign drivers can mix freely with all
members of the family without breaking the Islamic rule which does not
allow mixing of genders.
Breast milk kinship is considered to be as good as a blood
relationship in Islam.
"A woman can breastfeed a mature man so that he becomes her son. In
this way, he can mix with her and her daughters without violating the
teachings of Islam," the scholar said.
‘Ridiculous and weird'
Al Obaikan based his fatwa on a Hadith (saying) of the Prophet
Mohammad (PBUH) which was narrated by Salim, the servant of Abu
Huzaifa.
Later, Al Obaikan clarified that his fatwa was being distorted by the
local media which ignored the condition that the milk should be drawn
out of the woman and given to the man in a cup to drink.
Speaking to Gulf News, a number of Saudi women condemned the fatwa.
Fatima Al Shammary was quoted by the local Arabic daily Al Watan as
saying the fatwa was "ridiculous and weird".
"This fatwa has become a hot topic of debate among women. Is this is
all that is left to us to do: to give our breasts to the foreign
drivers?" she said.
Another Saudi woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity, questioned:
"Does Islam allow me to breastfeed a foreign man and prevent me from
driving my own car?
"I have not breastfed my own children. How do you expect me to do this
with a foreign man? What is this nonsense?" she said.
Another woman said the fatwa should also apply to the husbands who
should be breastfed by housemaids. By doing so, all will be brothers
and sisters," she said.
Hamid Al Ali, a journalist for an electronic newspaper, recalled that
an Egyptian driver who had a crush on a female teacher he drives to
school asked her to breastfeed him. When she retorted angrily, he
said: "I want to be your son."
Saudi writer Suzan Al Mashhadi sarcastically asked Al Obaikan: "Do the
women have to breastfeed the driver in the presence of their husbands
or can they do this alone?"
"Who will protect the wife if the husband entered the house
unexpectedly and found his wife breastfeeding the driver?" she asked.