[Reader-list] Fwd: Afghan Woman Parliamentarian Who Had Been Expelled from the Elected Post in 2005 Appraises the Latest Situation: INTERVIEW WITH MALALAI JOYA

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 13:32:07 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Venugopalan K M <kmvenuannur at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 1:10 PM
Subject: Afghan Woman Parliamentarian Who Had Been Expelled from the
Elected Post in 2005 Appraises the Latest Situation: INTERVIEW WITH
MALALAI JOYA

http://www.countercurrents.org/joya110310.htm

"..Huma: You were elected to Parliament in 2005. Eighteen months later
you were suspended. Why?

Malalai Joya: At the opening ceremony of the parliamentary session I
presented "my condolences to the Afghan people." Obviously, that
didn't please a good number of deputies, who complained that they were
offended. It's the war lords who wanted me out. I reminded that they
had sacked Kabul during the 1992-96 civil war and that they were
responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of people. I said they
should be dragged in front of the international courts. I also
denounced the corruption, fed by the millions given by the
international community under the guise of rebuilding the country.
Very quickly, I couldn't go on. They cut my microphone as soon as I
took the floor and I had to scream at the top of my voice to make
myself heard over the insults and threats. Some deputies defended me,
men and women, but they were few. I was called a communist and an
infidel. The worst insults possible in their eyes. In a television
interview, I ended up comparing Parliament to a zoo! Worse than
stables because there at least the animals serve some purpose..."

--

You cannot build anything on the foundations of caste. You cannot
build up a nation, you cannot build up a morality. Anything that you

http://venukm.blogspot.com

http://www.shelfari.com/kmvenuannur

http://kmvenuannur.livejournal.com