[Reader-list] KASAV VERDICT

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 13:34:41 IST 2010

Dear Bipin

A. I am against the death penalty for anyone for any crime whatsoever. I believe the 'death penalty' is awarded in barbaric societies, and yes, India is still barbaric in many ways.

B. You might disagree on the above. That does not change the opportunity allowed in India for anyone convicted in a crime in a Lower Court to take the matter to a Higher Cour.

     Since it is a question of a 'death penalty', Kasab has the right to have his case heard by the Higher Courts right upto the Supreme Court. After that he has the right to appeal to the President for waiver of the 'death penalty'. The Constitution of India provides that right. You cannot compare Civil Law of the Shah Bano case witha 'death penalty' being awarded.

     No one can take that right away from Kasab.

Kshmendra