[Reader-list] Statement by Arundhati Roy on the Attack on her Residence

SJabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:13:28 IST 2010

Dear Samvit,
You need to distinguish between the right to expression or free speech and
the right to indulge in violence or to incite violence.  The first is
enshrined in our constitution, the second punishable by law.  To call
Arundhati Roy a thug and to equate her political views with those who can
only counter her political views with physical violence is a travesty.
You cannot wish someone "good health and safety" while cheering on people
bent on tearing down her house and doing her injury.
sj

On 01/11/10 9:15 AM, "Samvit" <samvitr at gmail.com> wrote:

> A classic example of *pot calling the kettle black*. How conveniently
> you
abuse and slot others. If someone is attacking Roy's house I think it
> is
their way of expression. Roy doesn't hold a monopoly on "right
expression" and neither does she decide where to draw the line. She
> should
be knowing all this very well since she keeps company of known
> terrorists of
the ilk that were seen in Delhi with her. Why do you feel so
> meek now that
you have to be sladerous?? using words like.....hooligans,
> obsene....

Although I wish her good health and safety so that she can
> continue
gallavanting from place to place, topic to topic but then there are
> millions
out there who get inspired by her and want to teach her some
> "expression".
Thugs like her understand the language of thugs, perhaps.

On

--
Samvit
> Rawal