[Reader-list] A failed child-labour rescue and otherdilemmas ofJamia Nagar

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 10:04:10 IST 2010

We have something called Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act 1986.
Child is defined as:

"Child" means a person who has not completed his fourteenth year of age;

Then we have, Juvenile Justice (JJ) Care and Protection of Children Act,
2000:

In this act a child or juvenile is defined as a person who has not completed
his/her 18th year of age.

The act further goes on to say: "A person, who employs a child in a
hazardous industry, employs him/her for begging or provides a child with
drugs or alcohol is liable to serve prison time and pay fines."

Further amendment of the act resulted in 2006:

"Section 21 of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act,
2000 (56 of 2000) as amended by the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of
Children) Amendment Act, 2006 (33 of 2006)., states that: “Prohibition of
publication of name, etc., of juvenile or child in need of care and
protection involved in any proceeding under the Act-(1) No report in any
newspaper, magazine, news-sheet or visual media of any inquiry regarding a
juvenile in conflict with law or a child in need of care and protection
under this Act shall disclose the name, address or school or any other
particulars calculated to lead to the identification of the juvenile or
child shall nor shall any picture of any such juvenile or child shall be
published: Provided that for any reason to be recorded in writing, the
authority holding the inquiry may permit such disclosure, if in its opinion
such disclosure is in the interest of the juvenile or the child. (2) Any
person who contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1), shall be liable to
a penalty which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees”."
However, surprisingly no attention was paid to the fact that the age stated
in the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation Act) 1986 and JJ Care and
Protection of Children Act 2006 differ. I wonder why? If we someone could
clarify,

Thanks
Anupam