[Reader-list] Mumbai University Capitulates to Shiv Sena Thugs

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Oct 10 23:42:41 IST 2010

Dear All,

I fail to understand why institutions in Bombay cannot call the bluff
of the obscenity known as the Shiv Sena. Recently, the student wing
of the Sena, 'persuaded' the vice-chancellor of Mumbai University to
remove Rohinton Mistry's book - 'Such a Long Journey' from the BA
syllabus (see below). What legitimacy do the baba-log of the Shiv
Sena have? And why should a university have to listen to them in
deciding what to teach? Sometimes I am really glad that I do not live
in what gets touted as India's most 'cosmopolitan' city, but is
rapidly turning into a gigantic ghetto presided over by the spoilt
brats of the Shv Sena.

best

Shuddha
--------------------

Mumbai varsity drops Rohinton Mistry book after Shiv Sena student
wing protest
Published: Saturday, Oct 2, 2010, 15:32 IST
Place: Mumbai | Agency: PTI
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_mumbai-varsity-drops-rohinton-
mistry-book-after-shiv-sena-student-wing-protest_1446574

The University of Mumbai has dropped the Booker-nominated novel by
Rohinton Mistry Such a Long Journey from the BA syllabus following
objections by Shiv Sena students' wing which alleged that it 'poorly
represented' the saffron party.

The university decided to drop the novel, which was part of the
Bachelor of Arts (English) second year syllabus since 2007, last
week, vice-chancellor Rajan Welukar said today.

The university has sent a circular on the issue to colleges
affiliated to it.

Meanwhile, college teachers said despite having the question papers
prepared for the second year BA English, colleges had to postpone the
exam after receiving the circular.

"This objectionable novel uses extremely obscene and vulgar language
in its text and also makes anti-Sena remarks," said Bharatiya
Vidyarthi Sena chief, Abhijit Panse.

"The vice chancellor understood our point and was very supportive. He
immediately convened a meeting with his senior staff and later
informed us that the book had been taken out of the curriculum," he
said.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media Collective