[Reader-list] Gowhar Geelani calling for the Return of Kashmiri Pandits to Kashmir in 'Greater Kashmir'

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 14:09:29 IST 2010

Dear Gowhar

translation please,

i see suspending my own reasoning against attempts to translate:
verses and other things,  but it is again a very complicated question,
may be we connect it to wider kashmir discourse. but i come back :

Ls sar kar daappan maan chi sippar, kafir sapdit korum iqrar ( my nude
performance at LTG organized by Sarai in 2007, when i filled little
(maitsch ) earth ,in my mouth to resist its translation while its
audio was played on the screen. i distributed fragments of poem to the
audience)

this radical poem by Zargar sahib attracted fatwa once in Kashmir, but
sung by local folk chakri singers, and the CD is available in the
market at the moment. it will be its english translation that will
turn it into gun power. Here i think if Satanic Verses was written in
Arabic, perhpas, it would not have attracted hostilies all over the
world. There are some guys in kashmir who write erotic poetry in
Arabic. fantastic, but it will not be easy for them to publish, and
yes its translation.

So, a paradox. but a good one to start about the Kashmir discouse itself.
Right now the  'Kashmir issue'  has been translated from end to end,
easy for others to manipulate it, because the very projection of it
has  perhaps,drained it from the very force that  it is composed of.
what i means to say here, is that when culture ( culture in deeper
sesne, including contemporary) is detached from the naked grand
narrative of the conflict it becomes easy for its lovers to play with
it. The devil is in the detail, so one need to bring him closer to
know to engage, to drive him away even. The translation banishes the
existing detail to operate effectively, and incoporates a new detail
which may be a something alien to its translators even. It is not
about originality versus fake, but something more.....

Theoritically, i see a freedom moment, as you said is like a romantic
affair , so therefore, to be handled very sensibly. A single foot
print of the beloved becomes part of the shrine, ( the new idea of
free Kashmir ). A total tilt towards the concpet that violence as
methodology is temporary, but necessary to challange the state that
occupies, would be problematic in the long run. I may look Gandhian,
but one needs to discover some Gandhigiri in the least, to sustain the
discourse, that is possible if it begins to turn creative in approach.
That is the challange, but worth to think about, i guess. Here, sufi
present/past would be handy to make it happen, i believe.

There is one work by Marcel Duchapm titled . "The bride stripped bare
by here bachlors, even." It is very complex work done before world war
II, but one of the most profound works by this avant garde artists.

The lovers of AZADI ( Azadi as muse , let us say for a while ) need to
realize that giving freedom to muse actually will result into one
sided affair, S/he needs  freedom to dance, to sing, to meet
homosexuals, which would be  challange to  some phallus oriented
lovers even. But a lover need not to be possessive and at the same
time, the love affair should be unconditional.

I want to know if the desire for a free nation is akin to the simple
desire of a body for other body. I have no idea of sprituality that
does not engage material of the body and soul. Religous sermons on
this sprituality only contaminates, but that is the challange.

Something at individual level even, one may need to raealize how
profound is the concept of Azadi, similar to the understanding that
how a private lover affair is actually healthy for any society to
grow.

That is why i want the concept of Azadi to flow like River in the
minds of people in kashmir, which can liberate their very souls.

I think i was myself very predictable in my previous mail, so this

love
but tranaslation please