[Reader-list] Aadab In A Time Of Allah Hafiz

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:39:40 IST 2011

While I enjoyed reading parts of this piece, I am intrigued by one
very basic knowledge of the author. (And I know everyone on this list
is going to chide me for my being too much of a purist.) While I
appreciate her use of Adab and Khuda Hafiz as an inclusive salutation,
she continues to write the salam as  “assalam waleikum” which any
Muslim worth his cap would know is a faulty word. The correct word is
assalamu-alaikum, and there is no "wa" before alaikum. I am amazed
that the author grew up as a Muslim in a Muslim family knowing an
incorrect word which is a very basic understanding in any Muslim home.
thing as salam walekum.

"We Muslims" usually make fun of non-Muslims who ignorantly use the
word salam walekum, and try to correct them. Most people on this list
would say, how rude you are by making fun of this. But I simply ask:
how would you react if someone ignorantly (and seriously) said
manaskar instead of namaskar or manaste instead of namaste. Won't you
try to correct the person?

thanks

Javed