[Reader-list] A moment of silence: Emmanuel Ortiz

Ujwala Samarth ujwala at openspaceindia.org
Fri Sep 9 10:06:40 IST 2011

*Emmanuel Ortiz* (born 1974) is a Chicano<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicano>
/Puerto Rican <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rica>/Irish-American<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish-American>
 activist <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism> and
spoken-word<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoken_word>
 poet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry>. He has worked with the
Minnesota Alliance for the Indigenous
Zapatistas<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation>
(MAIZ)
and Estación Libre <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estaci%C3%B3n_Libre> and as
a staff member of the Resource Centre of the
Americas.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Ortiz#cite_note-scoop-0>
Ortiz
has performed his poetry at numerous readings, political rallies, activist
conferences, and benefits. His works appeared in *The Roots of Terror* a
reader published by Project South, as well as others. His readings of his
poems have appeared on Pacifica
Radio’s<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifica_Radio>
 Democracy Now! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Now!>.
[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Ortiz#cite_note-louder-1>
His
controversial poem, Moment of
Silence<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_Silence_(poem)>,
circulated the internet a year after September 11th,
2001<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11,_2001_attacks>.
It's time to read it again...

Do listen to this whole poem here:
http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/music/Moment-of-Silence.mp3

*
*

*A MOMENT OF SILENCE, BEFORE I START THIS POEM***

    Before I start this poem, I'd like to ask you to join me
    In a moment of silence
    In honor of those who died in the World Trade Center and the
    Pentagon last September 11th.
    I would also like to ask you
    To offer up a moment of silence
    For all of those who have been harassed, imprisoned,
    disappeared, tortured, raped, or killed in retaliation for those
strikes,
    For the victims in both Afghanistan and the U.S.

    And if I could just add one more thing...
    A full day of silence
    For the tens of thousands of Palestinians who have died at the
    hands of U.S.-backed Israeli
    forces over decades of occupation.
    Six months of silence for the million and-a-half Iraqi people,
    mostly children, who have died of
    malnourishment or starvation as a result of an 11-year U.S.
    embargo against the country.

    Before I begin this poem,
    Two months of silence for the Blacks under Apartheid in South Africa,
    Where homeland security made them aliens in their own country.
    Nine months of silence for the dead in Hiroshima and Nagasaki,
    Where death rained down and peeled back every layer of
    concrete, steel, earth and skin
    And the survivors went on as if alive.
    A year of silence for the millions of dead in Vietnam - a people,
    not a war - for those who
    know a thing or two about the scent of burning fuel, their
    relatives' bones buried in it, their babies born of it.
    A year of silence for the dead in Cambodia and Laos, victims of
    a secret war ... ssssshhhhh....
    Say nothing ... we don't want them to learn that they are dead.
    Two months of silence for the decades of dead in Colombia,
    Whose names, like the corpses they once represented, have
    piled up and slipped off our tongues.

    Before I begin this poem.
    An hour of silence for El Salvador ...
    An afternoon of silence for Nicaragua ...
    Two days of silence for the Guatemaltecos ...
    None of whom ever knew a moment of peace in their living years.
    45 seconds of silence for the 45 dead at Acteal, Chiapas
    25 years of silence for the hundred million Africans who found
    their graves far deeper in the ocean than any building could
    poke into the sky.
    There will be no DNA testing or dental records to identify their
remains.
    And for those who were strung and swung from the heights of
    sycamore trees in the south, the north, the east, and the west...

    100 years of silence...
    For the hundreds of millions of indigenous peoples from this half
    of right here,
    Whose land and lives were stolen,
    In postcard-perfect plots like Pine Ridge, Wounded Knee, Sand
    Creek,
    Fallen Timbers, or the Trail of Tears.
    Names now reduced to innocuous magnetic poetry on the
    refrigerator of our consciousness ...

    So you want a moment of silence?
    And we are all left speechless
    Our tongues snatched from our mouths
    Our eyes stapled shut
    A moment of silence
    And the poets have all been laid to rest
    The drums disintegrating into dust.

    Before I begin this poem,
    You want a moment of silence
    You mourn now as if the world will never be the same
    And the rest of us hope to hell it won't be. Not like it always has
    been.

    Because this is not a 9/11 poem.
    This is a 9/10 poem,
    It is a 9/9 poem,
    A 9/8 poem,
    A 9/7 poem
    This is a 1492 poem.

    This is a poem about what causes poems like this to be written.
    And if this is a 9/11 poem, then:
    This is a September 11th poem for Chile, 1971.
    This is a September 12th poem for Steven Biko in South Africa,
    1977.
    This is a September 13th poem for the brothers at Attica Prison,
    New York, 1971.
    This is a September 14th poem for Somalia, 1992.
    This is a poem for every date that falls to the ground in ashes
    This is a poem for the 110 stories that were never told
    The 110 stories that history chose not to write in textbooks
    The 110 stories that CNN, BBC, The New York Times, and
    Newsweek ignored.
    This is a poem for interrupting this program.

    And still you want a moment of silence for your dead?
    We could give you lifetimes of empty:
    The unmarked graves
    The lost languages
    The uprooted trees and histories
    The dead stares on the faces of nameless children
    Before I start this poem we could be silent forever
    Or just long enough to hunger,
    For the dust to bury us
    And you would still ask us
    For more of our silence.

    If you want a moment of silence
    Then stop the oil pumps
    Turn off the engines and the televisions
    Sink the cruise ships
    Crash the stock markets
    Unplug the marquee lights,
    Delete the instant messages,
    Derail the trains, the light rail transit.

    If you want a moment of silence, put a brick through the window
    of Taco Bell,
    And pay the workers for wages lost.
    Tear down the liquor stores,
    The townhouses, the White Houses, the jailhouses, the
    Penthouses and the Playboys.

    If you want a moment of silence,
    Then take it
    On Super Bowl Sunday,
    The Fourth of July
    During Dayton's 13 hour sale
    Or the next time your white guilt fills the room where my beautiful
    people have gathered.

    You want a moment of silence
    Then take it NOW,
    Before this poem begins.
    Here, in the echo of my voice,
    In the pause between goosesteps of the second hand,
    In the space between bodies in embrace,
    Here is your silence.
    Take it.
    But take it all...Don't cut in line.
    Let your silence begin at the beginning of crime. But we,
    Tonight we will keep right on singing...For our dead.

    EMMANUEL ORTIZ, 11 Sep 2002.

--
Ujwala Samarth
(Programme Coordinator, Open Space)