[Reader-list] Five ‘Rs’ of Circular Economy- Reduce, Reuse, Refurbish, Repair and Recycle

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 00:24:42 CDT 2016

Five ‘Rs’ of Circular Economy- Reduce, Reuse, Refurbish, Repair and Recycle
<https://wastenarratives.com/2016/05/17/five-rs-of-circular-economy-reduce-reuse-refurbish-repair-and-recycle/>

Have you ever pondered over the role played by the neighbourhood- cobbler,
electrician and tailor in recovering resources and reducing waste? Most of
us have never even noticed them. If I say that they like wastepickers and
recyclers are going to be the pillars of ‘Circular Economy’ envisioned by
economically advanced countries, will you believe me?

I am assured that your first question will be ‘What is circular economy?’

According to the authors- Peter Lacy & Jakob Rutqvist of the book ‘Waste to
Wealth- The Circular Economy Advantage’, ‘

*Shifting to a circular model means changing our linear economy’s supply
logic. We will need more renewable energy, more biomaterials and
biochemical that can degrade safely, and more technical materials like
metals that are designed to use recovered secondary material and for low
cost end of life recycling, effectively closing the manufacturing loop. We
need components designed for reuse and products that can be upgraded and
refurbished rather than discarded and replaced. This is critical supply
side of circular economy. *

With devastated natural landscapes, rising temperatures- it is essential
that mankind moves away from a linear model of growth- where we produce,
consume a little and throw away the rest. Circular economy concept offers
an option, where we reduce our dependence on natural environments for
resources, make the planet more liveable and leave a lot behind for
generations to cherish.

The circular model for food security and organic waste management exists.
The left overs of food or material used for production of food, human
excreta all can decompose and take the form of compost or organic
fertilizer, enriching the soil, increasing its productivity and leaving us
with more food. Continued here....
<https://wastenarratives.com/2016/05/17/five-rs-of-circular-economy-reduce-reuse-refurbish-repair-and-recycle/>

Regards

कबीर/کبیر