[Urbanstudy] Bengaluru: Cubbon walkers to protest, not hoist flag Protest against the cutting of thousands of trees for construction.

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 01:02:28 CDT 2017

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/140817/hyderabad-cubbon-walkers-to-protest-not-hoist-flag.html
*Bengaluru: Cubbon walkers to protest, not hoist flag*
DECCAN CHRONICLE.
PublishedAug 14, 2017, 2:23 am IST

Protest against the cutting of thousands of trees for construction. Want
deputy director of park transferred.
[image: BBMP Commissioner Manjunath Prasad and City Police Commissioner
Suneel Kumar at a press conference on Independence Day Parade at Manekshaw
Parade Grounds in Bengaluru on Sunday — KPN]
 BBMP Commissioner Manjunath Prasad and City Police Commissioner Suneel
Kumar at a press conference on Independence Day Parade at Manekshaw Parade
Grounds in Bengaluru on Sunday — KPN

*Bengaluru:* Walkers at Cubbon Park have been hoisting the Tricolour on
Independence Day at the city's lung space since 2012. But this year, they
will not. Instead, they will be hold a protest.

“We will hold our protest in front of Central Library in Cubbon Park from 7
am on August 15. This is because, there has been no development whatsoever
at Cubbon Park since 2012. It used to be a forest and now they have cut
thousands of trees for construction,” said Mr Umesh Kumar, president,
Cubbon Park Walkers’ Association.

Their grouse is that full-grown, age old trees were cut for private clubs,
half-done projects like rain water harvesting unit, government offices like
PWD and BWSSB, the waste water treatment plant and even by the Horticulture
Department office itself. Safety and security measures for the premises,
like  CCTV cameras, security guards and proper gates, have still not been
installed, they said.

On a more serious note, Mr Kumar said, “We want the Deputy Director of
Cubbon Park, Mahantesh Murgod, transferred. He has not done anything in the
park's interest.”

Association members plan to submit their list of demands to Governor
Vajubhai Vala on Tuesday. Environmentalists, like Suresh Heblikar, are
expected to join.

Horticulture Commissioner P.C. Ray told Deccan Chronicle, “The department
has fought a lot to keep traffic away from Cubbon Park. This created an
issue with the traffic police and escalated to the chief secretary level,
but we finally succeeded. Many groups and government bodies, like the
Tourism Department, are eyeing the park. But we are trying to keep it only
for walkers, joggers and nature-lovers.”

Mr Ray said, “Water bodies within Cubbon Park are being rejuvenated by Mr
Murgod. The one place we are stuck in is the parking problem near Hudson
Circle gate, which once resolved will restore the sanity in that busy area.
People's ideas, including those from the Walkers' Association, are welcome
and if their protest helps us, then that is welcome too.”