[Urbanstudy] Bengaluru: To avoid Delhi smog like situation, every 2nd Sunday to be a less traffic day

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 10:38:50 CST 2017

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/
bengaluru-to-avoid-delhi-smog-like-situation-every-2nd-
sunday-to-be-a-less-traffic-day/articleshow/61882549.cms
*Bengaluru: To avoid Delhi smog like situation, every 2nd Sunday to be a
less traffic day*
Sandeep Moudgal| TNN | Dec 1, 2017, 19:33 IST
[image: Representative image.]Representative image.

BENGALURU: The state government, in its efforts to minimise the likelihood
of a "smog engulfed" Bengaluru has decided to launch a campaign to ease the
private vehicles plying on city streets. The move has been considered after
the disastrous effect of smog
<https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/smog> in the national capital of
Delhi.

Named "less traffic day", the campaign is being considered in the city from
February 2018. The less traffic day will be initiated every 2nd Sunday in
the city from that month.

"We already have 64 lakh private vehicles on the road and would like to
avoid a smog situation, as in Delhi, in Bengaluru. While we are not banning
private vehicles on that day, we will try to create an awareness among
Bengalureans to utilise public transport or hire yellow board vehicles to
avoid pollution in the city," said Transport minister HM Revanna.

The minister said there has already been a round of meeting between
officials of the transport department, the traffic police and the pollution
control board personnel.
TOP COMMENTWhat brilliance, exactly as expected from such intelligent
people. Pollution comes from buses, vans, trucks and autos; and they act
against private vehicles! Namma Bengaluru Govt great!!nanjapa bidanda

"We will have another round of talks in this regard to finalise the
possible modalities of campaigning," said Revanna.

The less traffic day concept is perhaps a second such campaign in the city
after the failed concept of bus day, which was initiated under the BJP
regime.