[Urbanstudy] No revamp for Greater Bangalore civic body before polls

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 06:44:06 CST 2017

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/no-revamp-for-greater-bangalore-civic-body-before-polls/articleshow/62148236.cms

No revamp for Greater Bangalore civic body before polls
By
K R Balasubramanyam
<https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/etreporter/author-K%20R%20Balasubramanyam-479235088.cms>
,
Dec 20, 2017, 10.46 AM IST

[image: CM Siddaramaiah]
Toranagallu (Ballari district): Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday said
the state government will decide on restructuring the Bruhat Bengaluru
Mahanagara Palike
<https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/Bruhat-Bengaluru-Mahanagara-Palike>
 (BBMP <https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/BBMP>) after the
Assembly polls.

"We are seriously thinking about it. Even the BS Patil Committee
<https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/BS-Patil-Committee> has given
its report. We will take a decision after the elections are over," he said
during an exclusive interaction, even as he exuded confidence that his
party will return to power for a second consecutive term.

The state government formed the three-member BBMP Restructuring Committee
in September 2014. It was headed by former chief secretary BS Patil.
Retired IAS officer Siddaiah and urban expert V Ravichandar were its two
members.

In its final report submitted to the chief minister in July 2015, the
committee had recommended a three-tier structure of governance. While the
ward committees would form the first tier, the present BBMP would be
divided into five corporations — Central, North, South, East and West —
with 400 wards, to form the second tier. The committee had recommended a
directly-elected mayor with a term of five years. The third tier would be
the Greater Bengaluru
<https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/Bengaluru> Authority,
the committee recommended.

The committee report has been on the backburner ever since.

*WORK TO BE OVER BY FEB*

When pointed out that Gujarat's urban voters had saved the BJP
<https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/topic/BJP> from defeat, the chief
minister said he was doing his best to improve roads and address traffic
congestion issues in Bengaluru.

"There is no problem of funds for ongoing works in Bengaluru," Siddaramaiah
said, adding that they all will be over by February.

"After we came to power, we have focussed on solving transportation issues
and reducing congestion in a big way. The biggest problem is the number of
two-wheelers in Bengaluru, which is far higher than in any other city. I
have provided Rs 7,300 crore for improving roads in the city, including for
white-topping the roads", the CM said.

Siddaramaiah said the BJP (during its 2008-2013 term) exited office by
keeping bills pending, without addressing garbage issues and leaving the
state in a debt trap. "We are trying to sort them out", he said.

The BJP government also transferred 110 villages to the BBMP without
providing them with a drainage network or drinking water, he said. "I have
provided that. Then we have Indira Canteen which people have accepted. We
are also building one lakh houses for the poor and identified 1,200 acres
of land (for that)."