[Urbanstudy] Making horizons, making cities: Reading a moment through three languages

Mohd Sayeed mail.mohd.sayeed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 11:42:50 CDT 2017

"Buildings are languages spoken at the intersections of space and time in the making of the city. Weathering languages, stealth blue concrete high-rises, sometimes speaking in Russian in the NDMC rashtra bhasha corridors. There is babble on the street, incremental refugee colonies, with Punjabi baroque and Arya Samaj façades, Bengali Victorian art deco balconies and the waltzing circles of Queen’s English in Connaught Place. All speaking simultaneously. The ball is over, and we are still trying to inhabit the circle, standing at E.D Galgotia and Sons, buying out the last copy of Roget’s Thesaurus or Rapidex English Speaking Course. We go back to our Euclidean heteronormative DDA flats, eating roti–sabzi, with garam masala and sambar powder smells wafting by, and arguing about this rumour called ‘Indian modernism’. Also, where do we put the microwave?”

https://chiraghdilli.wordpress.com/2017/07/16/making-horizons-making-cities-reading-a-moment-through-three-languages/ <https://chiraghdilli.wordpress.com/2017/07/16/making-horizons-making-cities-reading-a-moment-through-three-languages/>

best,

Sayeed