[Urbanstudy] Bengaluru civic body asks Centre to give 25% share in GST

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 13:04:09 CDT 2017

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/bengaluru-civic-body-asks-centre-to-give-25percent-share-in-gst/1/1048944.html

Bengaluru civic body asks Centre to give 25% share in GST
PTI <http://indiatoday.intoday.in/author/PTI/1.html>
September 15, 2017 | UPDATED 20:40 IST
A +A -

revenue

Bengaluru, Sep 15 (PTI) The taxation and finance committee of the civic
body of Bengaluru today passed a resolution asking the Centre to give 25
per cent share in the GST revenue generated from its municipal area.

Talking to PTI, committee chairperson M K Gunashekar said the resolution
passed by the committee will be tabled in the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara
Palike (BBMP) council and then it will be sent to the state government for
forwarding it to the GST council for its approval.

"Ever since the GST has been implemented our resources have dried up and we
are unable to meet our obligatory duties such as maintaining roads,
streetlights, water supply, building infrastructure, managing schools et
al. Hence, we have asked the Centre to provide us 25 per cent share of the
GST collected from the city," Gunashekar said.

The panel head claimed that a high power committee headed by M S Ahluwalia
and the then Union urban development minister and now vice president Venkaiah
Naidu <http://indiatoday.intoday.in/people/m.-venkaiah-naidu/20102.html> too
had endorsed giving 25 per cent of the revenue to the municipal bodies once
the GST was implemented. PTI GMS RA BN