[Reader-list] Why Kashmir has no case for self-determination

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 17:32:37 IST 2009

"The Indian government, when it took the Kashmir issue to the United
Nations, promised such a referendum. It has not kept to that promise. If it
does so, then the matter can be easily settled."
Are you aware of the preconditions necessary for the referendum to take place?
Read this
http://www.boloji.com/myword/mw116.htm
"If all the UN Resolutions of 1948 and 1949 are considered, the following steps would be required to implement them. First, all Pakistani troops and police personnel would have to vacate Kashmir. Secondly, all non-Kashmiri Pakistani residents in Kashmir would have to vacate Kashmir. Thirdly, Indian army personnel would be posted in the whole of undivided Kashmir to restore peace and order. Fourthly, the Indian army would remain there until this was accomplished – in other words, all terrorist violence was ended. Then, and only then, would the Indian army reduce its deployment to a token presence required for ensuring peace. Fifthly, the State of Jammu and Kashmir would have to be restored to its original territorial status. Among other thing, the part of Kashmir illegally ceded to China by Pakistan would have to be restored to J-K before the holding of plebiscite."
And this-
http://kashmir.ahrchk.net/mainfile.php/after1947/9/
Also note that the UN resolutions do not give a choice of a sovereign Kashmir state,its either India or Pakistan.
So,please exclude the legalese of the UN resolutions from your arguments for self determination.
Lets talk about the other aspect- the principle of self determination as a basic and axiomatic principle of democracy. Most sovereign states do not provide for this.Anyway, let me give you a more general philosophical expostulation- no ethical principle known to mankind is axiomatic.Its derived from the consequences of such a principle.In other words the derivation of ethics or principles from any axiom is never absolute,its always based on the consequences.At best,the so called axiom serves as a guiding principle.So you are really can't escape from analyzing the principle of self determination of territorial boundaries in a consequential framework-specially when there are not many examples of such a principle being provided for in existing states.
Thanks
Rahul