[Reader-list] Positions Vacant: Sarai Research Associates
The Sarai Programme
dak at sarai.net
Mon Oct 27 17:13:28 CDT 2014
The Sarai Programme at CSDS invites applications for three positions
centered around media research.
The research agenda is historical and contemporary, archive based and
ethnographic, and will traverse a variety of media, including radio,
gramophone, cassette, photography, film, television, video, and digital
*Ongoing projects at Sarai include:*
- Media and information infrastructures
- Social media archeologies
Researchers at Sarai have ranged from postdoctoral scholars to students
working on their PhDs; M.A. and M.Phil graduates; media and cultural
practitioners interested in research; and independent scholars. Researchers
will work with ongoing projects at Sarai; we place a premium on
collaborative research, including regular reading sessions, workshops and
*Possible topics include:*
- The histories of the emergence and circulation of media equipment and
- Laws and regulations governing media use, and their contestation.
- State information and media policies, including the development of media
and communication infrastructure in radio and television transmission,
telegraph and telephone networks, and satellite and cable technology.
- The deployment of media for identification and surveillance, and online
- Social Media: legal conflicts, the transformation of politics, sexuality
- Media industry practices, including institutional and technological
- Computer culture, from software programming and management to digital
- Sites of media consumption and circulation including shops for media
goods, photographic studios, exhibition spaces ranging from cinema halls
and video parlours to electronic bulletin boards and ambient television and
video experience and the phenomenon of cellphone image capture and
*Applicants should submit:*
- CV listing recent works and projects.
- A writing sample from recent work.
- A three-page research note summarising her/his research interests, and
reasons for working at Sarai.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed at Sarai-CSDS, Delhi.
Selected candidates will be appointed initially for one year, with the
possibility of renewal for a second year.
The last date of submission is *16th November 2014*.
Send all applications by email with subject title of ‘research positions’
*The Sarai Programme*
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
sarai.net | facebook.com/sarai.net
More information about the reader-list